Applicant can apply for Passport through Online Registration or offline. We described below the detailed procedure about how to apply online for passport. In offline method apart from this applicant can submit directly in the respective passport office/ DPCs/Speed post centers. It’s easy to apply for a passport online. The process is long and you’ll still have to go to the passport office, but you definitely won’t need an agent to get the job done as long as you follow these steps.
10 Steps to Apply Online for Passport
- Go to Official Passport Sewa website by click here.
- If you are a new user click on Register Now other users can directly login.
- Fill the form open and click on Register. Now that you’ve created your account.
- Now click here to go to login page of Passport Sewa and login with your login id, key in your email and password.
- Click on “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport” link.
- Fill in the required details in the form and submit.
- Click the “Pay and Schedule Appointment” link on the “View Saved/Submitted Applications” screen to schedule an appointment.
Online Payment has been made mandatory for booking appointments at all Passport Seva Kendras/Passport Offices.
Online Payment can be made using any one of the following modes:
- Credit/Debit Card (MasterCard and Visa)
- Internet Banking (State Bank of India (SBI) and Associate Banks Only)
- SBI Bank Challan.
- Click the “Print Application Receipt” link to print the application receipt containing Application Reference Number (ARN)/Appointment Number.
- Visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)/Regional Passport Office (RPO) where appointment has been booked, along with original documents.
- Only emergency/medical cases and preapproved categories may visit Passport Seva Kendra without appointment. Service will be provided at the discretion of Passport Seva Kendra in-charge/Passport Officer.
- In case of minor applicants (below 4 years of age), carry the recent passport size photograph (4.5 X 3.5 cm) with white background.
- Resubmission of application form is required, in case the applicant does not visit the Passport Seva Kendra within 90 days from the online form submission.
Where to Apply Offline for Passport
For Online Registration, the applicant has to submit the print outs of the application form along with required documents to the respective passport office in the appointment date and time printed. Apart from this Passport Applications can be submitted at
- The counter of the Passport office
- The Speed Post centers
- District Passport Cells
- Passport Collection Centers
An application for a passport may be submitted personally OR through a representative (any close member of the family or recognized travel agent(s) only) carrying an authority letter. If you want to apply offline you can download application form from the below link.
Documents Required to Apply online for New Passport
- Address Proof.
- Date of Birth Proof.
- Citizenship Document
- Government/Public Sector/Statutory body employees should submit “Identity Certificate”.
- If the applicant is eligible for “ECNR” attach attested copy of supporting document.
- If the applicant was repatriated at Government cost, enclose documents to show that the expenditure, if any, incurred by the Government of India on his/her repatriation has been fully refunded to the Government of India, Ministry of External Affairs.
- If the applicant was ever deported to India, give details of Emergency Certificate/Passport.
These are the general documents required to apply online or offline for fresh passport. The requirement of the documents may be changed as per time so, we recommend to check at Official Passport India website for required documents before submitting the application form.